24 February 2010

Sydney

Sydney is one short phone call away from the sausage factory.

I love this dog, really I do love this dog- she is one of my kids but she is destroying handsome's backyard - scratching drywall off of the house, scratching at doors, windows, fences and I am at my wits end.

I phoned the dog trainer and she explained that due to the high winds recently, her client call has increased substantially in the last 2 days. Now, the wind, while a complete annoyance, is also a factor that sends Sydney over the edge. To say she dislikes wind would be an understatement. To add fuel to the fire, there is a walking trail located about 100 *sloping upwards* feet away from the backyard and due to construction the maintenance crew has put a chain link fence and affixed a green tarp (not sure of the exact purpose for the tarp). So the winds have blown the connectors away at the bottom of the tarp so.... can you guess what has been happening? Yes, the slightest breeze sends the tarp slapping, repeatedly, against the chain link fence... driving Sydney crazy and sending her into a crazy panic.

Last night, her heart was racing and as much as I tried to calm her down, she found it impossible. I spent close to 45 minutes with the dog trainer going over different exercises and we are going to try to put her in a crate for sleeping because the behavior seems to increase at bed time. As much as I am VEHEMENTLY against medicating people, children and animals - I am thinking of calling her vet and asking for some kind of doggie downer.

Any suggestions?



3 comments:

kate said...

Ugh. Poor Sydney! I don't have much in the way of recommendations, other than if anxiety over wind has such a negative impact on her life, you shouldn't feel badly about medicating her to alleviate her fears.

Hoping this gets better for her!

ApronStringsEm said...

Oh dear ... Poor Sydney sounds as anxious as my poor Kozzy girl. But you are a much better mom to have taken Sydney for some doggie therapy. Our poor doggie failed puppy obedience school and we never looked back.

Since moving to the city, Kozzy has become TONS better than she was in our suburban home. She gets walked more (out of pure necessity ... she's the one that gets Hubby and I off our A$$es to exercise!) and she gets exposed to other dogs. Not that she socializes with them ... she's just too anxious ... but at least she hears and smells them. In fact, today she actually let another dog sniff her! That's a HUGE achievement for her!

Anyway, I have no sage advice other than try to stay calm and Sydney should be able to feed off of your calmness. I find that when I get worked up, then the more anxious my Kozzy gets. But the calmer I am when SHE's acting out, she settles down quicker.

And then there's always benadryl ... :-)

Wishing 4 One said...

Poor guy. I have no advice sorry but hope the trainer and these wonderful bloggers can give u some, they will for sure. Glad to "find" you again. Sounds like you are well my friend.