23 January 2011

To: A Fifth Grader

Dear Fifth Grader:

You have probably already forgotten about the mean substitute teacher you had on Friday, however, I will never forget you.

I will never forget your smile, your brightness, your jovial nature, your smartness and yes, I will never forget that when I spent time going over your folder work you got upset with me and told me that you were going to commit suicide.

I will never forget the impact of those words crossing a young child's lips, ever.

Though suicide is not a laughing matter, I hope you were joking. I pray that you were joking.

I will never forget explaining what you said to me to the Principal and her assistant.

I will never forget her picking up the phone to call the district.

I will never forget her calling your mom.

I also know that you and I will never forget that day.

I will always remember you.

With Love from a substitute teacher

2 comments:

Jules said...

Ugh. Awful. :(

kate said...

Ugh, Kara. How scary and intense. I'm so glad you were there to hear that and to contact all the right people. I bet she'll never forget you, ever.