25 May 2010

The family photo



This is the largest gathering of McGee's for the year 2010 and probably one of the last photos that will include both my Grandma and Grandpa as both are struggling with their health.

There is so much that I love about this photo -

The way my Grandma is holding the gardenia that my Aunt Kathleen picked for her, up to her nose with a serious expression on her face.

The crazy tie-dye sweatshirt my Aunt Patty is wearing.

My Aunt Mary's beautiful, bright smile and her very sweet nautical themed shirt.

How relaxed my heart-attack having dad looks leaning up against the wall on the far right.

My cousin Garrett wrapped up in a towel after jumping in the pool with my cousin Patrick- I think it might have been a whopping 65 degrees - which is mild winter-esque conditions in Southern California.

My brother trying to look hip with his shades on and how my hand is resting on his shoulder - I have know recollection of doing that, however I love that it happened.

The sweet, innocent gaze of my niece Ella - she is mesmerized with my dad, her Papa.

My Grandpa though he is gritting his teeth with the insurmountable amount of pain, he was able to stand for this entire photo shoot. His body is frail and weak however is mind and tongue are both quick and sharp.

Handsome's smile and flexibility - he is amazing.

I love looking at this family photo, it brings me an amount of happiness that is hard to put into words and makes me miss the other family members (not pictured) - like crazy.

2 comments:

kate said...

What a great photo!! I can't remember the last time we had any sort of "family" photo with more than 5-6 people in it. I mean, I have a smallish family to begin with, but also H and I live so far from everyone. I think I got a shot of my mother and her cousins at my brother's wedding, but even that was a sadly small group. Sigh. That's okay, though. I'm adding to the pack as best I can (I figure two at once is good enough for now!). Someday, I hope there can be a photo of my boys with their (future) cousins, or at least with their only aunt and uncle!

What a special, special day! Everyone looks so very happy!

ApronStringsEm said...

I love precious photos like this. It's a reminder of how much family means to a person. And even though we're not physically with all of them, just the mere image of seeing pictures of family makes a person feel closer to them.

The entire family on my Dad's side, excluding my brother, my Mom, and me are currently back in the Philippines celebrating my Grandmother's 88th birthday this weekend. And if Hubby & I were able to, we would have gone as well. (Extremely expensive, especially since I'm currently jobless ... sigh!) But I miss them all like crazy right now; especially all my cousins. Which explains why I posted a whole bunch of old photos on Facebook recently.

So many memories ... but at least I'm with them in spirit!

And oh, BTW ... WOW, girl! Your hair has grown SO much since 2008! And Handsome, is indeed, handsome!